Evaluation

Maybe she's born with it. Maybe its Maybelline

Beauty and the brand has been a big learning curve for me. I feel it has taught me some very valuable techniques that I need in order to have a successful career in my chosen industry. The in class practical sessions have been really helpful, even though a few were missed as Yvonne was unwell.
With this project I feel I have gained a deeper insight into what beauty really is, and really understood my chosen brand 'Maybelline New York'. From the research into each beauty look, the design development and then seeing it as a final outcome, has been a really satisfying process.
            When it came to developing my final images, I wanted to create something that you could possibly see as a Maybelline campaign, but with a subtle hint of my own style. My strong lip look is one of my favourites out of the five beauty images.
It looked great on the model, as she made something that most people wouldn't be brave enough to wear look wearable and fabulous. After all that's what the Maybelline woman stands for, being confident and sure of herself!
One criticism of this look is that the hair isn't as done as I would have liked it to be. This happened for several of my beauty looks as my models hair is quite thin, and recently washed, therefore making it difficult to manipulate. I should have come more prepared, with texturising spray to give the hair more hold. I would liked to have managed my time more efficiently, which would have enabled me the chance to re-do my natural look and also facilitate a bigger range of models to work on.
            My natural look is the one I'm least impressed with. I didn't get the base quite right and therefore my model didn't look as fresh as I wanted her to be, and slightly red under the eyes. For the styling of each look I decided to keep it simple with either a black or white top or nothing at all as I didn't want to take away from the make-up.
            I feel I've shown good progression when fixing my errors, such as when my design of my models hair in pigtail buns didn't look right for the eyeliner look once it was created, therefore I redesigned the hair and created something more suitable. I also know when to stop, take a step back and realise something is too much. I did this during my timed assessment when the butterfly that I had created over crowded the look and took away from the make-up. I decided to discard this part of the design for something far more effective as a result.
            In conclusion I feel I have effectively understood Maybelline, ultimately producing five final images that envisage the brand. As a whole this project has been an enjoyable and educational one as I have developed techniques that I will carry with me for years to come.